BOARD OF TRUSTEES
This is a prestigious award instituted by Malcolm & Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust during the year 2000. The Malcolm Adiseshiah Award & The Elizabeth Adiseshiah Award for Distinguished Contributions to Development Studies. Details about the Award are given below:
The Malcolm Adiseshiah Award is given for Distinguished Contributions to Development Studies.
The Elizabeth Adiseshiah Award (Instituted in 2018) will be presented to a young scholar below the age of 45 as on 1st January of the year of Award for recognized contributions to Development Studies.
The Malolm Adiseshiah Award carries a citation and a cash prize of Rs.2 lakhs. The Awardee is expected to deliver the Malcolm Adiseshiah Memorial Lecture at the presentation ceremony.
Elizabeth Adiseshiah Award will carry a cash prize of Rs.1 lakh.
- 1. A public announcement about the Award will be made every year inviting academics from universities, research centers/institute, as well as those presently enjoying no institutional affiliation to send in nominations of scholars to be considered for the Award. Self applications will not be entertained.
- 2. The Awardees for both the awards will be chosen by a jury consisting of three eminent scholars will be constituted by the Board of Trustees of the M & E A Trust every year. The selection made by the Jury will be final. Members of the Jury will be paid a honorarium of Rs 10,000 each for their services. The Trust will also meet all expenses connected with the selection process, including travel and out of pocket expenses.
- 3. To the extent possible, the name of the Awardee will be announced on April 18, the Birthday of Malcolm Adiseshiah.
- 4. The date of presentation of the Award will ordinarily be before the end of the calendar year and will be decided by giving adequate time to the awardee to prepare and make available the text of the memorial lecture.
- 5. The Memorial Lecture will be published by the Trust.
Both awards are open to Indian and foreign scholars ordinarily resident in India.
The first Malcolm Adiseshiah Award given in 2001 and so far we have given 21 awards.
The following table shows the names of the award and the year in which it is related.